Wednesday, October 07, 2015

Bakestall

Yes, I know that this sounds like a programme featuring Mary Berry, but, in fact, it is a mountain at the back o' Skiddaw.


After we left Ambleside we headed north for a brief visit to our own base in  the north of Cumbria. The weather cleared for us and we drove up beyond Bassenthwaite, parking at Peter House Farm.  We followed the little road leading to Skiddaw House, up past Dash Falls.  Many other walkers were on the move that day.


Bakestall has a face known as Dead Crags, which loomed above us as we walked.


Dash Falls drops into its precipitous gorge.


From the turning from the road up on to the fell it is two-thirds of a mile to the summit of Bakestall, with 900 feet of ascent in that distance - so it is kind of steep.  Half way up this slope we could see sheep on the move.  This is sometimes a bad sign, as it can mean that a walker's dog is on the loose.


Soon, however, we saw the farmer.  He was on a quad bike coming down that slope - I guess he does it often enough to be safe.  But it did not look safe to us.


From the top of Bakestall the views are extensive - right out to the Solway and across to the Scotch Hills.


Over to Blencathra - from the top of which many, many hang-gliders were enjoying the thermals.


It was a memorable walk.


Few things are more evocative of the phrase "Winter Is Coming" than the sight of skeins of geese on the move.  Three times we heard that honking sound, looked up and saw large numbers moving south to warmer wetlands.  The next day, we too drove south.

5 comments:

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

Geese are coming over here , too . It seems rather early ... a bad winter coming ?

Mary Lou said...

Yes, that is a sure sign here, as well. And being able to spot Orion's belt in the night sky. We can't see it until autumn.

kjsutcliffe said...

Lovely photos - the beads of geese across the sky is very autumnal to us too -a rather melancholy yet beautiful sight for this time of year :)

Susan Smith said...

Oh my, those photos are just gorgeous. Just popped over after you left a comment on my blog, and can't believe you're holidaying in a place I love dearly. I was there last year in September. I've browsed down your current page and am intrigued by all the baby knitting! Thanks for the comments and I'll pop you on my favourites list. Take care.

knitski said...

Thanks for the nice hill walk! I love the photos and so wish I could walk those hills one day may be I will.

I am curious when out on a walk like this how many other hill walkers would see??? Just a rough idea.