I prefer a balanced, symmetrical approach, but I also like a challenge. Someone at the Spinners and Weavers group asked me if I chose my knitting patterns solely on the basis of the level of difficulty. Perhaps I do, but this would not qualify - it's a very straightforward chart with only one cable crossing at a time.
So then - how to make it into a jumper since there was no pattern as such? I had decided on a DK weight yarn and went out to buy a denimy blue. I bought 700 gms of an unusual colour somewhere between a mustard and an acid green. It actually took about 425 gms, but better safe than sorry.
I knitted a little swatch - cast on thirty stitches and knitted about ten rows. Then I checked how many stitches per inch I was getting. Answer 7. So I just multiplied half my hip measurement by 7 and that gave a notion of how many to cast on. I used a twisted rib. The panel was 41 stitches wide so two plus a one stitch divider gives 83.
We scanned in the original chart and found a way to flip it so that the cables could be mirrored rather than placed side by side. This was a good decision, since it added the symmetry I was looking for.
The armhole decreases followed a standard shape for a set-in sleeve and then I had to decide where to scoop the neckline. This took two tries since at first it was too high when I offered it up. Alongside the front I began the plain back in reverse stocking stitch and finished that at roughly the same time so I could tack the pieces together to test the fit.
So then the sleeves. Measuring my biceps gave me the target width for the top of the sleeve, multiplied by 7 which was the stitches per inch. Measuring my wrist gave the starting point for the cast on. It happened that the row gauge was also 7 so I knew if the sleeve seam had to measure 17 inches how many rows I had in which to increase from the cast-on stitches to the top of the sleeve measurement, so that gave the rate of increase.
I did try picking up the sleeves and knitting top-down but the pick up looked ugly in the reverse stocking stitch so I went with separate sleeves. I knit them both at the same time flat on straight needles. I used the instructions for the sleeve-head of Geiger as it is a complex shape, but once I had sewed them in place it was clear that they were too deep so I took them back and shortened the sleeve-head by doing the same number of decreases but in fewer rows. They fit much better now and should settle in wear.
I decided to use an applied I-cord to finish the neckline - simple and quick.
All this is why knitting is not what you might call a mindless activity.