Friday, October 06, 2017

Pumpkins

Last spring, we took on a new allotment.  After putting in our potatoes, we still had half the plot available, so we planted courgettes, butternut squashes and pumpkins.  The potato crop was heavy this year, but the pumpkins outdid themselves.  On Sunday we delivered our five largest to Paycocke's, the National Trust house where we volunteer, to make a seasonal welcome.

Each one is as much as my husband can manage to lift.


As I put the finishing touches to the Blue Museum waistcoat, I am struck by the different qualities of apparently similar wool.  The base yarn for this is the pale grey, which I used for the back.


Some time ago, I spotted a bargain on e-bay.  I think I paid three pounds for this pack from the 60s, probably, given the styling.  That's enough tweed fabric to make a skirt, and twelve ounces of yarn for the jumper. Made by Pringle of Inverness.


The yarn is quite loosely spun  and sheds a bit.  But knitted up on 3mm needles it makes a beautiful fabric with lots of subtle marling.  And it marries in very well with J&S 2ply jumper weight.


I probably won't be making up a matching skirt.


2 comments:

knitski said...

The vest came out great! I love the blues and greys.

Lisa said...

Your knitting is beautiful.

Vintage knitters dream of finding skirt packs, but I can see why you wouldn't pair that fabric with your knitting.