Monday, October 09, 2017

Blue Museum Waistcoat

Well, it's taken a while, but this project is now officially done and dusted.  One of the ladies at my knitting group is given to making assumptions about my knitting - that I buy expensive yarn, that I am a quick knitter, that I am a perfectionist...  None of these is in fact true, but of course all things are relative.


This item probably cost less than ten pounds to knit.  I did order three balls of J&S 2ply jumper weight in a range of turquoises, but set one aside as greenish, a second as too light and used only half of the other ball.  The grey, as I said last time, cost three pounds and the other colours were oddments I already had.  Curiously, I opened a button tin I bought at a jumble sale some time ago and the first buttons which came to hand were the six I used here.


The darkest of the turquoises was an oddment.  The risk here was that it would not be quite enough to complete the project.  I reclaimed the length used in the swatch: still not enough.  Rummaging through my stock of oddments, I came across the single remaining ball of a deep turquoise, just the right shade, but a DK.  So then I resorted to unravelling the plies of the yarn to recover sufficient just to complete my project.  I don't think anyone would be able to tell.


I tried it out at work today: even with prompting no one was able to spot that all the lozenge patterns are different on this one.  This took some doing.  I used Sheila McGregor's "Traditional Fair Isle Patterns as my source, using the 17 row lozenges and then topping up with some 15 row patterns.  A couple I made up myself.  On one section I realised that I had transposed the pattern rows for two of the lozenges in the middle of the band.  But it did not seem to matter: this must have been how new patterns were invented.

I can now see clearly which patterns make the best use of the colour changes.  These would bear repeating over a whole jumper.  Maybe that will be my next move.

A couple of images from Marks Hall, the arboretum just to the north of our village.









4 comments:

Carol M said...

Stunning - outstanding - gorgeous!

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful garment. It looks as if it would be a very entertaining knitting project.

MaureenTakoma said...

WOW! So beautiful. What an accomplishment. Following a big project, the test is to see if you ever want to have anything to do with it again and here you are contemplating a third. Brava.

knitski said...

I love your vest and colors. This is a stunning piece of knit work.