Saturday, October 14, 2017

Fair Isle design elements.

Remember this little chair, which we recently renovated?



We were startled and delighted to spot a set of these chairs being used as dining chairs in the film "Goodbye Christopher Robin".  If you get the chance to see it, it's quite a moving story, with some wonderful scenes - but nothing beat seeing those chairs.

So, here's a thing  - spot the difference.

This is my favourite motif from the waistcoat project.  Here it is in brown:


And here in blue:



I was just thinking over how it could be used for a complete design, offset on alternate rows, when I noticed something for the first time.  Shall I give you a clue?

You are looking at the accent colour, that's the green or the wine single central row.

I realised that on the brown design I used it replace the background colour, whereas on the blue version it replaces the pattern colour.  Why does this matter?  Well, because on the blue the spots of wine colour highlight the points of the grid, whereas on the brown this does not happen.  This would be even more obvious over a whole front.

You will have noticed also that on the brown design I used bright colours for the peerie patterns and used a different one each time.  On the blue I decided to stick to neutrals for those intervening bands, and to use the same chain design each time.  This gives an element of continuity to the pattern, which is already very busy.

Some of these are conscious decisions and others just happen, dependent on the yarn available.





2 comments:

knitski said...

Just stunning work!

Carol M said...

I appreciate your use of color and design. And, that chair - I want it!