Thursday, May 30, 2019

Work in Progress


Browsing though the many projects on Ravelry which feature cables I came across a jumper knitted in 2015 as a Rhinebeck sweater.  Rhinebeck is the big wool festival in the US and people wear their own most spectacular creations to it. This particular sweater had been knitted by copying a picture of a commercially produced sweater.

Now, I like a challenge and the picture of the original was there, so I thought that I would  give it a go.

I chose the yarn - Stylecraft Bellissima in Double Denim - because I liked the colour.  It has just a hint of denimyness about it in the variegation of tone. It cost less than twenty pounds.

Scanning the original picture threw up some mysteries as the ribbing is 2x2 but the cables are three stitch cables.  But that was easily solved.  I could have counted every row from the picture but decided to wing it and make it up as I went along.

The back and sleeves are in a simple pattern just involving a regular knit row instead of a purl, creating a ridged effect.  This matches the sides of the front.

Zooming in on the original picture revealed that the design was by Derek Lam, from 2013.  From his website it would have cost over six hundred pounds. I'm sure it was a lovely thing, as I hope my copy will be too.



No comments: