Friday, May 03, 2019

Red Letter Day

This is Red Letter Day by Fiona Ellis.  Curiously, there are only three projects up on Ravelry for this design, although it is relatively straightforward for quite a spectacular effect.

It begins like Geiger with some ribbing.  I shortened this by six inches because I am short and it would have been coat length.  There is only one chart for the cables and it is repeated up the back to a certain point and then only the simpler element used above the armholes.

Exactly the same cable is split across the fronts, adding to the impression of military style braiding.

I went for bronze buttons with a crest because brassy ones distracted from the cables themselves. The only technique I added was to use a two stitch I-cord bind-off on the front edges, which worked really well.  

This is a budget yarn, designed I think for toddlers, but I was drawn to the strong colour.  I'm now imagining it done in a pure wool, perhaps in a deep green, and worn with a tartan skirt with a suggestion of kilt about it.  If one went to events where that sort of thing could be worn, that is.





1 comment:

Mary Lou said...

Beautiful work. I thought of you when I saw this article on Cumbria in the NYTimes, Shandy. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/13/world/europe/cumbria-uk-austerity-cuts.html