Wednesday, November 07, 2018

Geiger 5

When I bought the yarn for Geiger I knew what I was looking for: 100% wool, a good vibrant colour and preferably not breaking the bank.  The Geiger in the pattern picture is in dark navy, and I can see how this might work as it is quite a show-off sort of design, so it does not really need a bright colour. But I was hoping for some colour stimulation in the knitting and a pop of colour for winter wearing.

Once in Franklins, the local wool-shop, of course your choice is determined by what is there.  I have used Katia sock yarn before and found it worked.  Here was Katia 100% Merino DK in a lively green shade.  And it was Superwash - easycare, it said.  Should that have told me anything?

I did knit a couple of swatches, not something I always do as I tend to knit to a moderate gauge, not loose or tight. But I did not wash the swatches. I chose 4.5 mm needles because this gave me the right stitch-count, and the ball-band stated that this was a possible needle size for this yarn.  I would usually knit DK on 4mm needles.

While I was knitting this a friend asked if it was a cotton yarn and I could see what she meant: very crisp stitch definition because of the smooth, rounded yarn.

So, I have the back and both fronts knitted finally -  just the sleeve-heads still finish, then the button-bands.  I decide to block the finished pieces in the time-honoured way: a short soak in luke-warm water, a rinse, rolling in a towel to remove excess water and pinning out to dry to size and shape  on the dining-room floor.

But what was this?  The firm, crisp handle of the knitted pieces was gone, and replaced by drape.  It looked at first as though the pieces were much larger, certainly much floppier.  There was a certain amount of bloom - woolliness which had not been there before.  I patted the pieces into shape thinking of all the hours I had spent on the knitting only for this to happen.

Once dry, I tacked the pieces together to see if anything could be done.  Curiously, it does fit, although the handle is still drapy and the stocking stitch sections seem a little limp.

I am finishing the sleeveheads, so that the cardigan will at least be complete, even if it is not quite what I was expecting.

4 comments:

CarolM said...

Sorry to hear the yarn bloomed after washing. I though superwash merino 'bounces' back a bit after it dries. So much work into this pattern! The actual BT sample was at my LYS for a while. It was done in black. A small group of ladies is knitting it in a KAL. (No one chose black yarn!) I would love to see the blocked pieces in case you took a photo.

greenmtngirl said...

That is superwash for you. Such a disappointment after all that work! I will still look forward to seeing the finished piece--it's lovely.

knitski said...

Interesting on the yarn . . . one just never knows!

Mary Lou said...

I sometimes put superwash in the dryer for a bit, not very hot. It seems to restore some of the elasticity.