Thursday, April 28, 2011

Walk in the park

My new knitting project: a throw based on Mitred Crosses for Japan by Mason-Dixon Knitting.  This is in sock yarn on a cream Wendy Shetland base.  I do not have the pattern so have made up what I think must be the numbers needed.

It is ideal travel knitting - interesting enough but not too fussy.



We were blessed with glorious weather on our trip to Cumbria.  Our favourite valley walk is a circuit around Low Lorton and Boonbeck.  We prefer to be away from the crowds.  This walk offers  little streams and shady bridges



It passes interesting houses - here, one is for sale.  What can be the purpose of the steps?



We saw mamy sheep with lambs at foot, and drystone walls.




Spring flowers - primroses and wood violets - were just everwhere.






And all along the way, the accompaniment of birdsong.  My husband saw a redpoll, a pied flycatcher, a reed bunting...and many others.

Finally, my commemorative sampler for the birth of the Princess Royal.  The atttribution of the verse to Patience Strong suggests the source of the design.




2 comments:

kristieinbc said...

I am very tempted to give the Mitred Crosses blanket a go, but then remind myself that I am still trying to finish the one and only other blanket I have ever attempted to knit. It was started 5 years ago, so I think I best give the blanket a pass. I will anxiously be watching your progress on it though!

Mary Lou said...

I bought the pattern, but who knows if I'll ever get around to it. I love the pictures from your walk. A few years ago I visited my niece who was in school in Newcastle and a local sent us on the loveliest walk to see wood anemones. Hours in the woods and we never a soul.