Sunday, June 24, 2007

Flagging it up

My first experiment at a log cabin blankie - and I'm not completely convinced. First, I overestimated how many stitches to pick up - major distortion, so I unpicked the middle and picked up on four dpns to knit a red centre. This kind of sorted it - until I noticed that I'd picked up the wrong side. I waited to see if I could live with it, but I couldn't, so out it came.

Then I found it took twice the red yarn the second time. Something wrong there, but I'm not sure what. Still quite distorted because it is hard to pick up and cast off at exactly the right tension to avoid this.

However, it's quite a startling effect, and I got the yarn at a giveaway price, so I was not wrecking good yarn in the experiment.



2 comments:

Rooie said...

Oooh, I like this. (I came here from Jean's blog.)

I love the log cabin blankets. Such a simple design, really but open to so many alterations that really change the way they look. I'm working on one where every square is white except for the last row of stitches, which are of various bright colors. (If you're on Ravelry, you can see it (what there is of it) in my projects. My name there is Rooie.)

Janet said...

I too like that blanket - it is very striking and is giving me an idea for a similar project.