Friday, August 23, 2019

Denim Cables

At last, a finished object!


Some time ago I trawled through Ravelry looking for complex cable projects.  There was an unusual jumper someone had knitted using a photo of a commercially produced jumper as the source, but without a pattern.  She posted the source photo.

Enlarging it revealed the label: Derek Lam.  This is an American designer of seriously cool and expensive items and this had been in his 2012 collection.


I can do this, I thought.  I bought the yarn - Stylecraft Bellissima because I liked the colour and the slight hint of variation in it, in a denimy sort of way..

Enlarging the photo meant that I could virtually count the rows, certainly enough to start off.  I knitted the back and sleeves alongside so as to have some simpler knitting to fill in.


As the front progressed it became harder to follow exactly what was going on.  How many rows to work between each cable crossing was the big question.  Just after the armholes, I stalled.  Eventually, I decided that it did not matter exactly how the cables were placed and I just finished it off.  It was a relief, though, to reach those plaited cables at the top and to be able to consult Barbara Walker for the pattern for those.


So then, the finishing.  Thankfully, the set-in sleeves went in without a hitch.  But when I tried it on it was obvious that the back neck was too low.  Nothing daunted, I picked up the stitches along the back neck and worked short rows to fill the gap with ribbing before finishing the whole neck with I-cord.  This is probably the thing I feel most pleased about as it does look very neat, and exactly like the sort of detail a designer would have planned.

1 comment:

CarolM said...

Shandy, Congrats to you! Your beautiful sweater is flattering on you. Complicated cable design for sure. Your solution to the 'low' back-neck is brilliant.