Monday, October 08, 2018

Geiger 3

Progress report on Geiger:  I've finished the back and begun work on one of the fronts.  This is taking a while, largely because if you blink while knitting a section you find yourself having to rip back before you can start again.  Sometimes you don't grasp how a technique works until you have got to the end of the process and then the rows at the start of the process look off.  This is not a forgiving pattern.



You can see certain elements of the pattern quite clearly here.  Notice how the pattern shifts by inserting extra stitches in the centre and decreasing them at the side.  This apparently creates a tailored look to the back.  

I was rather surprised that the back ended in a straight cast-off without any shoulder or neck shaping.  We'll have to see how this works out.  I'm probably more than half way through now, although the front band involves a good deal of finicky work.

When I say that I've had to rip back some sections, this is as nothing to the usual form in my knitting group.  A keen knitter arrived last week with a whole top and most of the front of another and spent the session unravelling both.  She did not like the colour of one and had realised that she would run out of wool on the other.  It would be true to say of some of these knitters that they always have some knitting on the needles but never finish anything.  Some of them knit the same yarn several times which at least saves money, I suppose.  Each to their own.

3 comments:

greenmtngirl said...

I love your intricate knitting and seeing how quickly you work through each project. I must admit that I am finishing up the first sweater I've made for years and I am knitting from the armholes down for the 4th time. (I also knitted one sleeve 3 times and then ripped the 1st sleeve out and re-knitted it to match the one I'd modified, and knitted the big collar twice. It's okay now, I think.) As I knit more sweaters I think I'll get better at figuring out how to modify them so they fit me the way I want them to--at least I hope so, since at this rate one sweater might be all I achieve!

shandy said...

Well, at least you are making progress on the one garment. My knitting buddies knit endlessly on the same piece without making any modifications, and then just ravel the whole thing out. It's probably to do with lack of confidence because they don't see that it is going adrift and would be unable to change course midway.

knitski said...

Such a creative design.