Thursday, September 20, 2018

Geiger 2

Pressing on with the knitting of this cabled design by Norah Gaughan.

So, now I have knitted both sleeves to about the sleeve head shapings.  I'm pausing them here so that I can check for length.


I've knitted the back up to the end of the first chart.  I've done the first set of waist decreases alongside the chart pattern.

This has not been a difficult knit so far, although the chart is so straightforward that it is easy to lose your place in it.  It's the sort of knitting that you can easily do while watching television.

It took me two tries to master the short row section, partly because I had not read the explanation of why they were needed on the back of the cardigan - it's apparently to compensate for the distortion caused by pattern-shifting.  So, the wonders of YouTube helped me to locate a very clear tutorial on how German short rows actually work.  They seem invisible on the right side of stocking stitch and less so on the reverse, which is what we have here, but it's OK.

I'm expecting to have to concentrate a little to get my head around pattern shifting, but it seems simple enough.  The sad thing will be if the whole thing does not fit well at the end after all this tailoring.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I am in awe! I have been knitting a long time, but that pattern looks way out of my comfort zone.

knitski said...

Wonderful knitting and those cables just pop right out! I to am a HUGE fan of German short rows as they work and are so easy to use.