Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Geiger


I've made a start on Geiger, by knitting the sleeve. - Oh, and by paying a small fortune for the yarn at my local yarn store, Franklins in Colchester.  This is a 100% merino which the shop assistant assured me could be tumble-dried.  Not that I have a tumble-drier, of course, but who in their right minds would spend hundreds of hours knitting  a really fancy cardigan and then just stick it in the drier?


Norah Gaughan, the designer, has included the unusual feature of putting textured stitches up the edges so the sleeve increases are hidden, but also, I expect, the seam will be less visible.

The central cable may look complex but is fully charted out and really straightforward.  The whole thing looks rather like the elaborate braiding seen on military uniforms of the ceremonial type.  Lucy Hague would have used a contrasting colour for the cable.

I am enjoying seeing the pattern build, and also just following a chart.


Recently a charity shop opened in our village.  As you know, I find them irresistible, but apart from some crockery, nothing in this one has caught my eye until yesterday.  There was a little pile of this yarn.  Yes, ten balls - enough for a whole jumper.  

So, I'm thinking "Hojlandgarn   - must be spun elsewhere."  And it was - but that elsewhere was "Skotland".


This is a yarn which was spun by JC Rennie until 2012 when production moved to Peru.  Looking it up on Ravelry, I find that Loop are selling it at £6.50 a ball.  I paid £5.00 for the ten balls.

Of course, on previous form, it will now sit in my stash for at least five years before its time comes.




2 comments:

Julie said...

You are making remarkable progress with such fine yarn and small needles! Are you keeping up with the time you are putting into this garment? That sleeve looks marvelous. And don't worry about how long it takes to use that stash yarn - I consider it good insulation for the house!

knitski said...

Stash and using it up has been a bit of a goal this fall and I am making progress.