Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Fine Feathers


I love feathers.  I love their shapes and varied colours.  I like the fine detail of their design.  It makes my day to pick up a feather randomly discarded and of no further use to the bird.  This one is, I think, from a gull.

Whereas this fine white curl, edged with down, must be from a swan.  We have an arboretum with ornamental lakes just north of us and swans nest there.


A fancy, spotted pheasant from Sudely Castle...


And a common or garden pheasant from the woods.


Mallard, with iridescent blue/greens...


And a curious dainty feather precisely marked with sky-blue


A shell-like curl

Guinea fowl perhaps?

And my latest acquisition - about a foot long..


What bird dropped this fine specimen?








2 comments:

greenmtngirl said...

Do you have bluejays in the UK? That "curious dainty" feather sixth down looks a lot like a bluejay feather to me, though perhaps not exactly--I can't quite tell the size from the photo. Some of their feathers are striped like that too.

And that last one--maybe a hawk, or another raptor? I have a hawk feather that is that big. (I love feathers too!)

A lovely collection!

knitski said...

Not sure which is my favorite but I lean towards those with a hint of blue.