Thursday, December 07, 2017

Recycling

I'm taking my time planning my next Fair Isle waistcoat.  In Cumbria recently, for the literary festival, we noticed how the mixed woodland along the shore of Loweswater  featured a very pale lemon against a dull purple, a lovely combination.  But would it work as part of a colour scheme?

Against the rich dark green of the back, I can see a mixture of rusts and mustards.  But would it take the very bright yellow which I have actually got in stock?


As I said in an earlier post, my eye was caught by this jumper in a charity shop.  It might even have been wearable, except for those sleeves.  First, I ravelled it out, winding it on to the niddy-noddy which my husband produced some years ago, to skein it.  A soak and then a gentle spin - to try to relax some of the crimp.


Before washing...

And after...

By now, I am almost to the armholes on the back, but no further forward on the colours to be used for the fronts.  At some point, I would like to make use of a batch of mixed green oddments bought from a factory on Shetland in 2000.  Perhaps their moment has arrived?

2 comments:

MaureenTakoma said...

I'm looking forward to seeing how this project develops. If the yellow you have to hand is the one you used to tie off the skein, it'll probably work well spangled in among the rusts and greens. You definitely need something to offset all the planned greens.

knitski said...

I too am very curious what you have in mind. Sometimes things just come together when you least expect it. Enjoy the journey!